Friday, October 4, 2013

Swiss Apple Pie

A few weeks ago while at a physical therapy appointment for an annoying bout of tennis elbow, my wonderful therapist friend Alex handed me the below recipe for Swiss Apple Pie. My first response was, "Swiss Apple Pie! What do they do -- add Swiss cheese to it?" I've often heard of apple pie with cheddar cheese, which I've unfortunately never tried (I LOVE cheese but that's beside the point!). Anyway, I took a second glance at the recipe Alex handed me and giggled, realizing of course there was no actual Swiss cheese in it, baked on it, or on the side of it. Silly ol' me. 

So, Alex went on to tell me that someone shared the recipe with him and that he was planning on making it this year for Thanksgiving. I asked him for the name of the person who gave it to him so I could give her credit for it. He told me her name was Shelly (unfortunately, I forget her last name). She breaks the recipe down into 4 super duper easy steps. Shelly - amazing recipe... thank you!

Anyway, I baked it up this week and I must say it is the most flavorful pie I think I've ever made. As a matter of fact, I would not hesitate to also make this for Thanksgiving, or any holiday for that matter. 

A big THANK YOU goes out there to Alex for the recipe and for taking such good care of me during my stint at physical therapy! I'm very grateful to him and the whole staff. You guys ROCK!



Swiss Apple Pie

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Peel and cut 5 apples and place in pie dish


2) Sprinkle apples with:

1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp sugar










3) Combine:

1 1/2 sticks melted butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup nuts (I used chopped walnuts, but I'm sure you could switch out your favorite variety)


4) Pour over apples & bake for 1 hour








********************************

Note: The batter will have a thick consistency. While testing this recipe, I found I needed to add a lil' extra melted butter. I used an offset spatula to smooth batter over apples (see above photo). Also, it would be a good idea to place the pie on a baking sheet.

Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (or both!). 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment